Monday, 6 June 2011

Outsecurity.

I suppose most people would say I'm a confident person.

It seems to me this confidence isn't permanent. I don't know if insecurity and confidence exist on the same sliding scale, at opposite ends, or on two separate planes. This is, does a person tip from confidence to insecurity to confidence, or do we leap back and forth from one level to the other? All very abstract, sure. I want to work out how and why and where my insecurities arise. So maybe all this cloud-thinking helps.

I've set myself a task. I'm going to list my insecurities, what I'm afraid of. Here:
- being left. Abandoned? No, left.
- being second-best.
- being misinterpreted.
- being unwanted.
- being boring.
- being perceived as stupid.
- not knowing where I stand.
- not being in control.

There are also, of course, the superficial insecurities. I don't have bright white teeth, I do have stretch-marks, I do have a scarred hand from an accident with boiling water when I was young, I don't have a high-earning job, I do have large pores, I am weak in saying no to alcohol and cigarettes (I CAN say no, I just don't do it often enough).

We all know where the body-image stuff comes from and, to be frank, I'm not really terribly bothered by it. It's the Big Fears I'm unsure of. As a kid, for the first few years, I remember hating it when mum left me alone. Give me attention, lots of attention, all the time, don't go away. Mum and I were a team. Us versus dad's Schizophrenia. Eventually but suddenly, mum left dad and, for a couple years, focused inward. Christ, I was pissed at her for leaving me alone, without warning, in the middle of the field, forced to compete as a one-woman team.

Please don't cry me a river. See? I'm worried about being boring, being self-indulgent. I'm trying to figure things out. I'm broke and I can't afford to pay my psychologist twice a month, like I should. So I'm blogging instead.

What are your insecurities? And are they friend or foe?

5 comments:

Maureen said...

I'm afraid of...
- making a fool of myself
- being boring! I suspect many people feel this one.
- tripping over (I am kind of a klutz)
- saying something stupid
- sexuality :(
- being rejected
- being outgoing and wild

Hmmm. I think naming these insecurities is an interesting exercise. I feel like challenging them now.

Btw, you are NOT boring. I could be entertained by you all day, I am highly interested in the things your mind concocts.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Sim ! How many feers and insecurities I have ! You can't imagine ! I've read your post so many month after, but I seem to read my words in yours :
- I'm afraid of beeing left
- I'm afraid that my words could be misunderstood
- I'm afraid of talkink too much too unkown person
- Being rejected
- I'm afraid of myself
- I'm afraid that people could think that I'm crazy by reading my books (yes, You recognized me, it's me, The crazy french girl who whants to be a writter...)
- I'm afraid of violence
- I'm afraid of war...
Love
XXX

Anonymous said...

Tremendous things here. I'm very satisfied to see your article. Thanks so much and I am having a look ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

Also visit my web page: click here

Anonymous said...

Sign in along with your Xbox 360 Stay account, or generate your
new account after creating your own selection.
Heck, you can even use Internet Explorer if you really want to.
Another way to earn free Xbox codes is by competing in the competitions that are held up by Microsoft.


Feel free to visit my homepage: msp codes

Anonymous said...

It's in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Also visit my web site; buy legal cocaine powder australia *wikigpia.info*